The Project Engineer (PE) has the technical responsibility for the delivery of projects, to schedule, specification and within budget.
Role & Responsibilities
- The role of the Project Engineer is to (support) the delivery of CFC development projects, primarily working in the development and introduction of MHE / Electromechanical systems
These projects can be diverse:
- Increasing Ocado’s capacity to pick orders
- Improving site productivity
- Enabling an increase in the SKU range
- Providing resiliency to the existing operation/process.
- The PE is responsible for the planning, programme, coordination and management of all external MHE and Enabling works suppliers, or supporting thereof. The role will oversee and manage the vendor for the technical delivery of any new equipment.
- The PE is also involved in commercial aspects of the project; including formulation of the capital budget; negotiation on costs; raising of Purchase Orders; processing of Invoices; and supporting the BPM and Procurement function in discussions with external suppliers on any Project Variations.
- Areas of particular focus for the PE are:
- Technical lead from design through implementation to Go live, including identification, and appropriate resolution, of any Snagging works
- Product Ownership, detailed technical ownership of engineering solutions
- Formulation and control of Budget spend (forecast versus actual spend)
- Enforce adherence to Legislation, Ocado Engineering Standards and H&S policies.
- Change Management processes
- Sign off against specified equipment performance targets as part of the formal process.
- Develop Training and secure the involvement of the Ocado Engineering Operations team for handover of works to “Business as Usual” status
- Oversee procurement of Spares and manage any Warranty discussions with the MHE Vendor.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
The Project Engineer will have:
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- Experience of projects in Manual Handling Equipment, manufacturing, automotive, aeronautical, FMCG distribution or similar field where transferable skills meeting the job spec can be demonstrated
- Good technical ability (or experience), ideally relating to automation hardware.
- The ability to develop and implement standard engineering practices, as well as provide detailed documentation upon project completion. Able to act as the technical owner
- Aptitude to debate detail both technical and commercial detail, and ensure compliance to appropriate Ocado Engineering standards.
- Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with project barriers.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- Ability to monitor, report and communicate progress (or barriers to progress) with variety of stakeholders, both in verbal and written form.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel, and ideally MS Project.