Who are we... On the surface, we are the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer. Customers use our award winning mobile applications and website to place their orders, which are packed in our world-class automated warehouse, and delivered in one hour time slots.
Look under the surface however, and you will unearth a dynamic technology company that has the look, feel and culture of an innovative software start-up. That’s because we develop all the software that powers Ocado, in-house.
In Employee Systems we build the software that enables our HR, Planning, and Payroll teams to manager, roster, and pay our workforce of over 15k, and makes shift data, benefits, and rostering info easily accessible to our employees so they can manage their shifts and absences.
In a nutshell...You are an experienced software engineer, with hands on experience that has taught you that working with a team who collaborate well and relish learning together is far more fun and effective than going it alone. You know teams like this deliver better, and continuously look for improvement opportunities. You are absolutely committed to helping foster this in the team you join.
Very importantly, you understand common engineering practices that surround the complex process of rostering and attendance management. Ideally you also have some basic knowledge of attendance management systems and how different tools inform it.
Who you are...
- A developer with at least 3 years of experience in Java software development.
- Have advanced knowledge of Entity-based Java Enterprise (EJB) architecture.
- Are experienced with good (and less good) source control and CI tools (From GitLab to SVN, and from GoCD to Jenkins).
- Experience helping define and re-engineer not just software but the software engineering process (how meta!).
- A proven track-record of getting things done.
- Comfortable with the concept that the only constant is change. Embrace uncertainty, happy with challenges and learn fast.
What you’ll do:
- Design, plan, and write simple, maintainable, flexible software to solve highly complex business problems.
- Interact regularly with users and business stakeholders.
- Work with the team in continuously improving the development process.
- Become an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools
Required Languages, Frameworks, and Tools:
- Java 6/7/8
- Glassfish Enterprise Server 3.3.X+
- Enterprise JavaBeans 3.1
- Oracle RDBMS, PostgreSQL, and DynamoDB
- Microservices, REST APIs
- ActiveMQ and SNS/SQS messaging
- AWS; Elastic Beanstalk,,S3, etc
- Jenkins and GO build pipelines.
Desirable Languages, Frameworks, and Tools:
- NewRelic APM or other agent based monitoring.
- Git and SVN source control.
Required Process Experience:
Agile Development; Scrum or KANBAN.
Experience with product demonstrations for stakeholders.
Requirement gathering exercises with and without a product owner.
What we can offer you...
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, private health, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled.
We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and many more) not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and even external guest speakers.
Closing date for applications is 30th April 2017