The purpose of this role is to lead a software engineering development group within our Robotic and Autonomous Systems department. The group, which comprises a number of development teams, is responsible for delivering business critical software for the robotics within the Ocado Smart Platform. The successful candidate will be expected to show leadership in a number of areas, including strong leadership of a quality software engineering culture and the recruitment and retention of talented software engineers, alongside other day to day management activities.
Roles & Responsibilities
Technical Lead Aspects of the Role
- Management of product development and the allocation of resources for the realisation of specific products
- Supervision, planning, guidance and direction of the teams to meet business objectives.
- Oversee the technologies, tools and techniques used within the teams
- Work collaboratively with the business, and other technology teams, on issues related to design and requirements
- Ensure that development and quality standards, policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Drive change to implement efficient and effective strategies as advised by management
- Develop and implement standards and procedures to aid in the development of high quality software and overall product. Ensure that all robotics engineers within the team understand and follow existing standards.
- Work closely with team leaders and development teams when necessary to create software and robotics systems that are cohesive.
- Work closely with peers in the business to fully understand the business process and requirements including cooperation with UK Ocado Technology teams.
- Gain enough business knowledge to be able to actively participate in specifying robotic system solutions for business needs.
- Ensure that all software and systems developed within your team satisfies the business requirements as specified.
- Ensure that projects are accurately estimated and delivered to schedule
- Show flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the business.
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems.
Line Manager Aspects of the Role
- Recruit and lead a team of Robotics Software Engineers, Senior Software Engineers and Team Leaders in the creation of high quality robotics systems within agreed project deadlines.
- Assume a high level of ownership of all work developed by members of the team.
- Train and integrate new team members and proactively support the continued development of existing team members
- Build and promote a positive working environment for the team within your areas as well as other business areas you will engage with.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution with effective feedback.
- Proactively report and manage upwards to management and the business, so that they are well informed of the work currently in development.
- Implement team goals and objectives
- Supervise, train and guide team members
- Inspire and motivate team members
- Be knowledgeable about each member of your team, their strengths, weaknesses and effectiveness, whilst translating each of their behaviours into clear tasks and objectives to improve their individual performance.
- Work with the wider team to support further initiatives including Recruitment of new employees into yours and other teams within Ocado Technology.
- Be a champion for your area within the Technology and business organisations.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Proven experience developing complex and high quality / production robotic systems, specifically embedded systems.
- Strong leadership abilities, including motivating team members
- First class or 2.1degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree, but must include Electronics along with Software..
- Strong education in Maths, Physics and/or other numerate subjects
- Proven knowledge of electromechanical systems and their control
- Proven knowledge of electronics and their design
- Demonstrable C and C++ programming ability with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques.
- Proven ability of managing challenging projects, with a track record of delivering within schedule quality and budget.
- Experience in full systems development lifecycle from design to deployment, design for manufacture.
- Proven track record of developing high quality software and systems to business specification whilst understanding processes and requirements.
- Experience using SCRUM or other Agile methodologies, such as Lean and/or Test Driven Development
- Experience driving innovation while balancing with need to deliver production systems.
- Experience of cloud based technologies such as AWS, importantly including big data / analytics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and many more) not to mention our frequently used football table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at http://www.ocadotechnology.com/.
Closing date for all applications: Sunday 30th April 2017.