We're Ocado Technology. We design and build the platform that powers Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We're also putting the world's retailers online, including Morrisons (the fastest growing online supermarket in the world), Fetch, Sizzle, and Fabled by Marie Claire.
We write and build all our own systems, from website to warehouse control systems, van routing systems to mobile apps, every system involved in our e-commerce and logistics operation has been carefully crafted by our team of passionate software engineers.
We have a rapidly expanding portfolio of amazing software products being developed in Barcelona. And we work closely with our development teams in our other centres around the world.
We're looking for people who can help us develop and embed an awesome culture and improve it over time. People who use their smarts and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants and collaborate to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly changing industry.
You are passionate about great technology teams that delight customers as part of an inspiring organisation. You know that to achieve this, teams must be innovative, motivated, highly productive and ready for fast change. You understand that chasing this is a never-ending journey of continuous improvement. You can bring knowledge and experience growing teams and leading technologists.
The retail systems department is focused on all the systems an e-commerce retailer needs to run a highly effective operation. That is from simply ranging products, to detecting fraud, customer communications, pricing strategies or processing payments. There are a large number of related product teams that make up the retail systems department across two locations in Wroclaw and Barcelona.
The Head of OSP Retail Systems, is a senior organisational position at Ocado Technology, where you will be building and managing a multi-national department of cross-functional development teams.
You will be responsible for a department of 50 people, split into development teams made up of software developers, designers, product owners, data scientists, and any other roles you need to get the job done. You will be responsible for the productivity and performance of the OSP RS teams in the Barcelona office, as well as OSP RS teams based in our Wroclaw development Centre. You are the ultimate owner of the products they develop and are responsible for their quality and effectiveness and timely delivery. You will report to the General Manager of OSP (based in the UK) and the Head of Ocado Technology Barcelona.
Day to day work
Working as Head of the department, your responsibilities include:
- Recruiting the best people.
- Managing effectively using agile development practices.
- Leading effectiveness, productivity and performance of the teams.
- Fostering collaboration with other related teams.
- Leading and assisting teams to make intelligent decisions around technology and development.
- Leading great communication practices inside the teams and with other teams they interact with.
- Department budgets, including head-count, training and expenses
- Driving awareness of the commercial demands upon the business
- Driving awareness of technical and behavioural standards of Ocado Technology
- Identifying the skills you need, and working with the recruitment team to recruit the right people.
- Ensuring your teams are appropriately skilled and trained
- Assisting the General Manager, and other members of the head office in top down and bottom up communication, including strategic and tactical priorities.
- Managing issues that might impede team effectiveness e.g. communication issues, behavioural issues, skill issues, process issues and technical issues.
- Work with your teams to provide reporting information on their development progress and capacity.
- Maintaining a proactive and open communication channel with the General Manager and other Heads of department, generally and on all of the above.
- Champion Ocado Technology’s values and culture.
You will also have responsibilities that relate solely to your local office, for which you will take direction from the Head of Ocado Technology Barcelona.
- Technical Excellence – demonstrates intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities & is able to pick up new skills quickly
- Innovation & Problem Solving - able to solve complex problems, participate in continuous improvement and adapt the ideas of others
- Productivity, Drive & Achievement – proactive approach, gets things done, demonstrates accountability & ownership, prioritises own workload
- Business awareness – ability to apply learned skills, awareness beyond immediate area/role
- Adaptability - working under pressure, flexible, positive & focused during times of change
- Communication & Impact – strong verbal and written communication, robust interaction with internal clients
- Teamwork – works well with others & actively contributes towards team objectives
We can offer you:
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment (phew!) where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in house and external training programs available. We also really encourage people to attend conferences and be involved in the local developer community.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant Scheme
- Free fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly drinks events
- Table football
- English and Spanish language courses
We are right next to Sants station, a central area of Barcelona. We are just getting going, which makes it a very exciting time to join!
There’s a lot going on at Ocado Technology! Find out more about us at http://www.ocadotechnology.com
Due to the fast paced nature of our business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.