Ocado is the world’s largest dedicated online grocery retailer with over half-a-million active customers. As an online-only supermarket, we don't have a network of large bricks and mortar retail stores, instead, we ship all of our orders from highly-automated warehouses that have been actively and precisely designed and evolved to match the requirements of our dynamic, cutting-edge and award winning retail business.
Ocado Technology is the in-house technology division of over 900+ software developers, engineers, researchers and scientists that uses the latest in AI, robotics, cloud services, big data, and mobile technologies. We brainstorm, design, architect, innovate, experiment, build and maintain the systems that power Ocado.
Our values include Craftsmanship, Collaboration, Autonomy, Trust and Learning Fast. We apply these values to both ourselves and to our organization/culture. We expect you to maintain and reinforce these values throughout your department and in all your interactions.
In a nutshell
So, you are passionate about great technology teams that delight customers as part of an awesome organisation. You know that to achieve this mythical place, teams must be innovative, motivated, highly productive and ready for fast change. You understand that chasing this is a never-ending journey of continuous improvement. You can bring knowledge and experience growing teams and leading technologists, but you realise that there are even better ways to be discovered.
Great, we're looking for people like you who can help us develop and embed an awesome culture and improve it over time. People who use their smarts and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants and collaborate to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly changing industry.
As the Head of Infrastructure which is a technical leadership role, you will be managing a 40+ strong Infrastructure department powering the mission critical, revenue generating UK retail business.
What I need to do
What I need to know
- Lead, coach, mentor and develop a 40+ strong, cross-functional department of Unix, Windows, Storage, Network, Database, Infrastructure Development engineers; project managers; and other functions.
- Maintain production services at the very highest levels of availability.
- Lead effectiveness, productivity and performance of the teams
- Foster collaboration with other related teams
- Lead great communication practices inside the teams and with other teams they interact with
- Drive awareness of the commercial demands upon the business
- Ensure the teams are appropriately skilled and trained
- Lead teams to scale the existing Infrastructure systems in line with business growth and requirements.
- Lead teams to develop and execute strategies to tactically modernise the Infrastructure estate when required
- You will be expected to collaborate with peers and senior management throughout the business including stakeholders in Development, Operations and other functions.
- You will have passion for both technology and organisational improvement.
- Manage issues that might impede team effectiveness e.g. communication issues, behavioural issues, skill issues, process issues and technical issues.
- You will be self-motivated; able to deliver under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple competing priorities and assignments in an ever-changing environment.
- You will be highly organised and resilient with an eye for detail and strong analytical skills.
- Experience of leading, coaching, mentoring, developing cross-functional teams.
- Experience solving complex problems, participating in continuous improvement, adapting the ideas of others
- Historic or current first hand experience in one or more of Unix, Windows, Storage, Networking, Databases or Development.
- Strategic and tactical management of heterogeneous technology stacks.
- Budget management experience.
- Capacity planning experience.
- Disaster Recovery experience.
- Data centre management experience.
- Experience of working in highly technical businesses, with large populations of developers and end-to-end entire product lifecycle management.
- Experience of multiple development methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, Scrum, Kanban, etc…) and associated tooling.
- BSc or similar in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics, Engineering or similar discipline
- First hand or management experience of Development functions (eg. Python, Java).
- Experience of using/supporting AWS, Google Cloud, or other cloud based services.
- Managing organizations and collaborating with stakeholders across multiple locations.
- Experience of CI/CD and DevOps.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.