To deliver Engineering Projects to schedule, to specification and within budget, in support of Business Project Manager customer with the purpose to:
- Increase Ocado’s capacity to pick orders
- Improve productivity
- Enable an increase in the SKU range
- Provide resiliency to the existing operation/process.
- Electromechanical and Project Engineering design authority through ownership of assigned Ocado Engineering Standards
- Leadership of a group of Engineering Project Managers, Project Engineers and others as appropriate
- Line Management and Leadership of Engineering Project Managers, Project Engineers and support staff, including: Workload assignment and priority management Guide, mentor and instruct reports in line with their needs and seniority, conflict resolution, process development and compliance with Ocado people management policies
- Ensure successful delivery of all the engineering elements of projects, defined in terms of time, cost and specification, including fulfilment of any CDM and Health and Safety requirements. Ensure priorities and customer expectations are actively managed, being the technical lead from design through implementation to Go Live
- Work with Business Development PDMs to ensure that project’s Engineering requirements are actively considered during concept and planning phases to develop realisable schemes and ensure that suitable programmes and specifications are conceived.
- Close working with internal stakeholders (e.g. Engineering Operations, Buildings Technology, Procurement Manager) and external stakeholders (e.g. Operation, Suppliers) to ensure smooth transition from project to production and ensure that the relationships are maintained.
- Promote use of the Ocado project methodology, ensuring stage gate compliance. Develop process to support the methodology and improve efficiency and consistency in project delivery
- Responsible for many commercial aspects of the project; including formulation of the capital budget; negotiation on costs; contractual arrangement in conjunction with Procurement and Legal. Raising of Purchase Orders; processing of Invoices; and management of variations, working closely with Procurement manager, finance and admin.
- Cost ownership of Engineering element of project scope throughout project lifecycle, including pre contract tender / cost assessment and evaluation
- Coordination and management of all external MHE and Enabling works suppliers, and oversees the technical delivery of any new equipment installed on site
What do we need from you?
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- Proven engineering knowledge and project management experience
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to automation hardware (cranes, conveyors, lifts etc)
- Demonstrable competence in effective management and leadership of a team, Experience of delivering through people
- Experience of projects in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution or similar field (could also be from within the MHE industry)
- Aptitude to debate detail both technical and commercial detail with internal and external parties
- Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with project barriers.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- Ability to monitor, report and communicate progress (or barriers to progress) with variety of stakeholders, both in verbal and written form.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel, and ideally MS Project