At the heart of Ocado Technology’s transformative new warehouse automation technology is a semi-autonomous, self-guided vehicle. We call them bots and they are critical to our mission. Uptime, reliability and performance are everything.
Our embedded software platform has to control this powerful vehicle with millimetre precision. It has to monitor a range of sensors for diagnostics, predictive maintenance and safety. It has to talk over our world leading wireless solution. The Ocado Smart Platform drives the need for a very smart bot and it will continue to do so for many years to come.
This software engineering role sits within our Robotics and Autonomous Systems department. Our teams work together and follow an organic structure which means you will be helping the team solve the current problems on the roadmap. Nonetheless, this role focuses on software application development rather than low level embedded development. So what does that mean? Well….
What we'd like you to do
- Develop application software for motion control and power management on STM32 MCUs.
- Develop Linux applications to capture data from the BOT.
- Design object-oriented and error tolerant software on top of an active object event based framework
- Ensure the software quality is high by developing automated unit tests, integration tests and system tests
- Contribute to, and definine software roadmaps
With this in mind, we are looking for people with a really strong track record designing and implementing complex controls software solutions. Are you that person?
We'd like to see
- Strong ability to design software
- Extensive experience developing software in C.
- Experience using event-driven programming.
- A good understanding of real-time computing and RTOS features.
- Java and Python development skills.
- Strong problem-solving credentials.
- A good degree, ideally in mechatronics, robotics or electrical engineering or a related subject.
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.