Lead Design Technician
Sorry, this vacancy is now closed
- Closing date
- 02 Mar 2017
- 40 hours per week
- Contract type
- Hatfield (Head Office)
- Vacancy description
Ocado is an award-winning online retailer revolutionising grocery shopping in the UK who continually report double-digit growth. Our R&D Team are developing our own technology and new customer propositions allowing the business to open multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships. We pride people, technological advances and ourselves on the quality of ours goods that power everything we do.
This role is to enable Ocado to retain UK sector lead and to grow nationally and internationally through the development of new automation products and equipment.
- Supporting the mechanical design team detailing CAD designs and producing drawings, to a standard of detail and quality suitable to issue to suppliers for manufacture.
- This could be for automated machines, complex electromechanical products, large structures, robotic products, and the full range of supporting products needed to deliver a fully functional customer fulfilment centre
- Produce equipment installation mechanical/process drawings in alignment with client standards.
- Produce schematic, general arrangement and detailed drawings in accordance with the relevant standards and procedures.
- Produce models/drawings within project standards from sketches, layouts and notes.
- Creating drawings from CAD concepts at the system, sub system or component level
- Reviewing and update supplier drawings
- Conducting tolerance analyses and performing some basic engineering calculations.
- Collaborate with the Design Manager in engaging with the change control board (CCB). Further, cascade or delegate and monitor actions arising out of the CCB.
- Prepare or compile essential material for design review and critical engineering review.
- Ensure consistent quality across all drawings and designs by recommending and implementing best practise for detailing , reviewing and change control
- Ensure quality of delivery when producing or updating CAD drawings to the relevant standards.
- Ensure thorough checking and accuracy of deliverables and recording of documentation.
- Create, review and renew frameworks and best practices for effective working of CAD technicians.
- Maintaining the integrity of CAD data management system across all licenses.
- Serve design roles in relevant projects.
- Generate supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification. (CE, UL CSA or other)
- Prepare design modifications from provided sketches and data.
- Communicate and collaborate with the other CAD disciplines.
- Mentor other Mechanical and Electrical CAD technicians
- Coordinate with Engineers and senior designers to adopt designs to align with schedule, existing conditions and equipment requirements.
- Estimates accurate completion time of own assignments, as well as any mentee assignments. Independently and effectively coordinates with project team and across disciplines, when required.
- A good HND or equivalent. Exceptional candidates with demonstrated experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of drafting techniques, standards, and practices, engineering procedures and manufacturing capabilities to enhance discipline knowledge. Advanced graphic and CAD skills. The ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations.
- Experience in working in design of complex electromechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production.
- Knowledge in CAD. Preferably Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks.
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage your time.
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints.
You will be:
- Detail orientated.
- Quality focused.
- Proficient in understanding the effects of the accumulated variation i.e tolerance stack up and manufacturing tolerances.
- Proficient in documentation version control, design review and sign off processes.
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing environment.
- Experienced at estimating task and work package duration
- A self-motivated, team player, flexible and willing to learn.
- Able to self-manage workload and prioritise tasks deriving from being involved in multiple activities at the same time.
Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to attend meetings and conferences