You’ll be part of a new cross-functional team with a wide remit to source and analyse data from Ocado’s cutting-edge storage and picking systems. We’ll look to you to make sure data is in the right place and in the right structure through automated pipelines. Working in a fast-paced Agile environment, you will have significant ownership and technical influence, and see your efforts quickly deliver benefits to the business.
What we'd like you to do
- Analyse, design, create and maintain robust, high-throughput data pipelines from our autonomous robots and their control system and peripherals (pick stations etc)
- Populate new data stores to power statistical analysis and machine learning
- Lead end-to-end investigations to troubleshoot data issues
- Interact with other developers, product owners, analysts and data scientists
- Assist Data Scientists with productionizing machine learning models
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools
Experience we are looking for
- Commercial, full-lifecycle development experience using Java/Scala and related tools (JUnit, Git etc)
- A love of data and data flows as well as simple, maintainable, flexible code
- RDBMS and NoSQL datastores and querying
- Ability to apply and reason with basic statistics
- Flexible in approach with the ability to learn fast
- 2:1 or higher degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics, Engineering or similar highly numerate subject
Bonus points for
- Python or other scripting languages for tooling and data wrangling
- Web front-end development (for internal apps)
- Microservices architecture and REST APIs
- Implementing machine learning models in production environments
- BI tools like Tableau, Crystal Reports or Jasper
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the tech industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.