We are Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking solutions that power Ocado, the world’s largest online-only grocery supermarket.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is what you get when you treat operations like a software problem. We want you, the Software Engineer, to design an operations function and we are creating a completely new team for you to be part of. An exciting time to join would you not agree?
You will be part of an organisation that lives and breathes technology. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do.
The new SRE team will be doing work that has historically been done by an operations team, but using engineers with software expertise.
What are we looking for?
Someone with good software skills, who also is an expert in network engineering or system administration. Typically, we look for about a 50/50 mix of people who have more of a software background and people who have more of a systems engineering background. We feel this would be a really good mix.
Where and how many SREs?
Good question. We are a growing company, with revenues over £1 billion and we are investing heavily in SREs. We will be recruiting across our international offices alongside a new team to be created in the UK. Joining now will give you the unique opportunity to be part of and shape the team’s development and make a real difference to your own career and Ocado Technology.
In a nutshell
As a Software Engineer on the SRE team, you will have the opportunity to tackle the complex problems while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design. Your tasks will focus on operational assets of the software. You will be part of the team that uses software instead of people to run operations on site.
What will I be doing
- Design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Ocado’s services.
- Solve problems relating to mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards and methods for large-scale distributed systems.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Working in cloud environment with instrumentation and automation in mind.
What I need to know
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Experience in one or more of: Java, Python, NodeJS, Scala.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience in cloud environments.
- Familiarity with running web services at scale; understanding of Unix systems internals and networking.
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way.
- Networking: knowledge and understanding of network theory, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery). We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and many more) not to mention our frequently used football table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at www.ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.