Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is what you get when you treat operations as if it’s a software problem. Our mission is to progress, protect, and provide for the software and systems behind all of Ocado Technology’s services with an ever-watchful eye on their availability, latency, performance, and capacity.
This is an unusual job, unlike others in the industry. Like traditional operations groups, we keep important, revenue-critical systems up and running despite weather issues, bandwidth outages, and configuration problems. Unlike traditional operations groups, we also have full access to and authority to fix, extend, and scale the code to keep it working and harden it against all the vagaries of the Internet. We hire people from both systems and software backgrounds. Strong candidates will have experience with both. Just as what we do is unique, where we do it is unique too. We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems. In SRE, we flip between the fine-grained detail of disk driver I/O scheduling to the big picture of forward planning service capacity, across a range of systems and technologies. We own those services in production. We drive reliability and performance across massive scale by mastering the full depth of the stack. We literally do learn something new every day - usually surprising things - that have the potential to transform the lives of our users around the world. As a Software Engineer on the SRE team, you will have the opportunity to tackle the complex problems while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design. Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technology Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Ocado Smart Platform, we make our services best-in-breed. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our services up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Ocado’s services.
- Solve problems relating to mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards and methods for large-scale distributed systems.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Conduct periodic on call duties.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Experience in one or more of: Java, Python, NodeJS, Scala.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Familiarity with running web services at scale; understanding of Unix systems internals and networking.
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way.
- Networking: knowledge and understanding of network theory, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.