When most people think of Ocado, they think of the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer, not realising we’re also one of the UK’s biggest technology employers transforming an entire industry. As our business evolves, we are creating Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) - a next-generation, cloud-based grocery solution.
OSP is a modular and scalable platform for running a large-scale grocery retail operation, and includes our highly automated warehouses - we call them Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs). It’ll be used to put some of the largest bricks and mortar retailers around the world online.
We're currently looking to recruit a Technical Writer to work within a small team responsible for creating the help and learning content to support OSP users. This content includes web-based help and API documentation, tutorials, walk-throughs, videos, training resources, and in-UI text and user-assistance. Initially the focus for this new position will be on APIs and data feeds, but will spread to other areas of OSP learning.
As tech writers at Ocado Technology we don’t do off-the-shelf and we don’t do average - we use Macs, we write in Markdown, and we’ve built our own platform based on Jekyll. If we run into a new problem, we work together to come up with a solution.
If you want your next content role to be fresh and exciting, where you can have a respected position at the centre of a large-scale development project, work with cutting-edge technology, and be given the freedom to try new approaches to user-assistance and learning, we’d love to hear from you.
You’ll be a bright, analytical, and well-organised writer, with a passion for technology and user-assistance. While experience is valuable, so too is your attitude, enthusiasm, and approach. You'll be self-motivated, able to take the initiative, and be adaptable enough to take on new challenges and subject areas.
The role is based at our Head Office in Hatfield.
- Produce clear, easy-to-read, and consistent documentation for APIs, data feeds and software applications.
- Work closely with developers to help design APIs and data feeds
- Work with developers and product owners to write end-user documentation for the software platform
- Produce screenshots, flowcharts, and other graphics when required
- Work with development teams on the use of text in the user interface, such as the consistency of terminology/style, and readability of error messages
- Review and proofread documentation produced by team members
- Contribute to the working methods and processes of the team
What we look for
- A good university degree or equivalent
- Impeccable written English, and the ability to write consistently and concisely in accordance with a style guide
- Ability to write easy-to-read, fluent text, and the capability to organise content clearly
- Proven experience of working with development and QA to write and deliver customer-facing documentation
- Ability to work independently to tight deadlines, across multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent all-round communication skills
- Experience in working with Agile development teams
- Experience in writing API documentation
- Experience in using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown
- Experience in using Git, or other version control systems
- Experience in video tutorial scripting and production
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape is conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include a pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).