We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
Ocado is seeking an IT Project Manager to take responsibility for the high-level coordination of the development work being undertaken by a multitude of Agile development teams who are all working on Ocado’s next generation software, driving and enhancing functionality for Ocado’s new Smart Platform.
What we'd like you to do:
- Oversee and coordinate multiple pieces of development work through the full project lifecycle.
- Analyse requirements and contribute to solutions in co-operation with Business Leads, Product Owners and the Technical Team Leads.
- Track progress of development against agreed targets and make that progress visible to an extended audience..
- Track project budgets, especially for the larger / cross functional pieces of work.
- Help adapt and develop the processes being used by the technology teams.
- Liaise with the Business teams on project requirements and priorities.
- Strong technical background, Computer Science Degree background or equivalent.
- Delivery focused Project Manager with full project lifecycle experience working on ground-up, in-house software development projects.
- Able to demonstrate a proven ability to lead software development projects and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met.
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building including the ability to interact with developers and technical leads in a technical manner.
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands.
- Knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence.
- Some commercial experience as a Business Analyst or a Developer would be strongly preferable.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level.
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view.
- The ideal Project Manager will be someone that has come up through the developer route and is now a delivery focused Project Manager within an agile environment.
- Solid understanding of, and demonstrable experience in using appropriate tools - Agile Project Management tools such as Jira, Rally, VersionOne or equivalent - Traditional Project Management tools such as Microsoft Project, Visio, and all Office Tools.
- Experience in system design and development would be an advantage.
- E-commerce/ retail experience.
What we can offer you:
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery). We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and many more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.