At the heart of Ocado Technology’s transformative new warehouse automation technology is a semi-autonomous, self-guided vehicle. We call them bots and they are critical to our mission. Uptime, reliability and performance are everything.
Our embedded software platform has to control this powerful vehicle with millimetre precision. It has to monitor a range of sensors for diagnostics, predictive maintenance and safety. It has to talk over our world leading wireless solution. The Ocado Smart Platform drives the need for a very smart bot and it will continue to do so for many years to come.
This software engineering role sits within our Robotics and Autonomous Systems department. Our teams work together and follow an organic structure which means you will be helping the team solve the current problems on the roadmap. Nonetheless, this role focuses on automated product verification through simulation. So what does that mean? Well…
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing and developing components for a Java simulation application.
- Developing automated scenario tests to protect against regression.
- Integrating multiple C application into an automated test facility that runs in the cloud
- Developing high fidelity simulations of the physical world.
- Driving quality through black box scenario testing, chaos testing and others
- Contributing to and defining software roadmaps
- Constantly searching for ways to improve bot performance
For interested candidates there will be opportunities to work on the embedded micro-controller robotics code (C/C++), with appropriate training provided.
Things we are looking for in a candidate:
- Solid, proven Java experience, with a strong preference for Java 8
- Excellent object oriented software design skills
- Python development skills
- Good maths, physics, stats and data analysis abilities
- Some knowledge of mechanical/electrical engineering concepts
- 2.1/1st BSc in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a good numerate degree.
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used football table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.