We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
In a nutshell
In this challenging role you will work across a spectrum of proprietary vendor systems and Open Source platforms ever mindful of skilling up those around you and driving knowledge sharing. Continually develop your own skills and the skills of those around you by working closely with your colleagues. Influence direction based upon the support requirements of the Operations Center of the emerging technologies that will be the production environments of Ocado’s future.
What I need to do
- Support all current Ocado and Customer operational database environments.
- Adopt new skills across multiple emerging Cloud and in House platforms.
- Mentoring, development and training of the wider team and yourself.
- Champion development and improvement of processes as part of on-going work.
- Drive cross team communication.
- Drive proactive efforts to prevent issues
What I need to know
- Experience supporting critical production infrastructure
- Fault finding/diagnostics/trouble-shooting skills.
- Oracle database administration
- PostgreSQL database administration
- Passion for open source technologies
- Methodical approach to problem solving and attention to detail.
- Strong people and communication skills.
- Proficient documentation skills.
It would also be nice if you had:
- Experience of supporting NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB, Cassandra/DataStax
- Knowledge of OpenStack, Ceph, Puppet, Python.
- Working knowledge of Oracle Data Guard and RMAN
- Experience of Amazon Web Services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, EC2) and / or Google Cloud Platform (App Engine, Compute Engine, Cloud Storage)
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, share schemes so you can share in our success, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).