We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
In a nutshell
As a member of the Infrastructure Unix team you will be expected to research, develop and manage all Unix-like compute, storage and virtualization solutions as well as their associated hardware. We run both commercial and open source versions of Unix and Linux (such as Ubuntu, Debian, Core OS), Storage (Netapp and Ceph) and internal cloud infrastructure (Openstack). You will be required to implement the chosen technologies, configure them to Ocado standards, provide our Operational team with automation, documentation and training and participate in a 24/7 support rota. You’ll enjoy being part of the team if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better).
You'll be responsible for:
- Technical requirements gathering, design, prototyping, implementation, testing, and ongoing support of technical solutions to business problems
- Troubleshooting production issues
- Configuration and setup of hardware, operating systems and services to Ocado Technology standards
- Management and monitoring of systems to ensure that issues are quickly identified and resolved
- Automation of manual activities
- Planning, testing and rolling out new releases
- Provision of documentation to peers and other stakeholders
- Collaborating with Operations team to plan and execute system changes
- Provision of 3rd line operational support as part of the teams' on-call rota
- Implementation of systems to comply with Ocado Technology's security and disaster recovery strategy
We’d like to talk to you if you have strong demonstrable skills and experience in the following technologies...
- Ubuntu / Debian
- Ceph / NetApp
- Unix Scripting (Shell, Python)
- Good understanding of TCP/IP and IP networking
- Experience/understanding of supporting a 24x7 operation
- Passion for open source technologies; in touch with industry/market developments and best practice
- Self-starter, comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Strong written, verbal communication and collaboration skills
We'd also like to talk to you if you have...
- a Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Maths, Physics, Engineering or related subject
- Core OS, Docker, etc...
- Experience of server build and configuration management system (e.g Puppet)
- Experience of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
- System security
- Performance monitoring and tuning
- Capacity planning
- VMWare ESX
- Experience of Amazon Web Services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, EC2) and / or Google Cloud Platform (App Engine, Compute Engine, Cloud Storage)
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery). We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and many more) not to mention our frequently used football table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at http://www.ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.