In Employee Systems we build the software that enables our Planning Team to manage our workforce of over 10k and makes roster data easily accessible to our employees so they can manage their shifts and absences.
So, you are passionate about creating great software. You know great software delights customers and makes them smile when it works so simply, everytime. You know great software makes other developers smile and relax when they have to work with it or modify it. You have an uncle called Bob who has drilled into you the reason we need clean code and don’t feel happy to have your code un-integrated at the end of the day.
You have experienced different work environments and you know that working with a team who collaborate, realise there is always more to learn, and listen to their customers is far more fun than going it alone. You know teams like this take work and need to continuously look for improvement opportunities. You’ve discovered the best ways to measure this.
You have been in many developments, participating in every stage of the process. You care about understanding everything from CSS to DevOps, but have realised there is no “best” practice. You always consider how to get testable, simple, maintainable, flexible code and get fast feedback.
Who you are
What you’ll do
- Really understand the complete SDLC and development methodologies.
- Are experienced with tools (like: JUnit, Go, GitLab).
- Love working as an embedded member of a cross functional team
- Know the pros and cons of the technology trends in your field
- Make things work and get things done
- Love agile/lean development and delivering code
- Embrace uncertainty, are happy with challenges and learn fast
- Think scale
- Have a sense of humor
Primary Languages, Libraries, Database
- Write amazing, simple, maintainable, flexible code to deliver agreed team outcomes
- Commit, Integrate, Test, Build and Deliver code
- Participate in design discussions
- Discover what your customers need
- Work with the team on continuous improvement of the development process with end-to-end delivery in mind.
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tool
Development Practices and Architectural direction
- Java 7/8, Glassfish, EJB, RDS
- AWS, Elastic Beanstalk, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS, S3 etc
- Microservices, REST APIs
- Clean Code, SOLID, TDD
- Agile (Kanban or Scrum)
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, share schemes, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.