Ocado Technology is building a world class and highly innovative retail and fulfilment platform which makes heavy use of wireless technology. The Wireless department is focussed on building the communication systems, services and tools required to deliver business functionality to our global business partners. We are currently recruiting for a Team Leader of our existing Wireless team focusing on a human-centric application within the Wireless group.
The Wireless and Network teams are already well established and have been delivering and supporting business critical systems for a number of years. We work with a wide variety of stakeholders from all parts of the business to design and deliver robust, resilient and highly scalable solutions. As part of our ongoing growth, we are now re-distributing the expertise contained within these teams to new areas. This role is to lead a team of Wireless and Wired Network Engineers to develop and manage the Access Network components of our Infrastructure.
The successful candidate for this role will continue to drive these high standards forward while collaborating closely with our peer Infrastructure teams to support the ongoing innovation of Ocado’s logistics platform.
As a Team Leader, you will have experience of working in fast paced and dynamic teams, co-operating closely with multiple stakeholders in a highly collaborative environment. The team are delivering to the requirements of our customers and the overall vision of the Infrastructure department.
This is a technical role, so will require proven experience, ideally within a large enterprise environment and the ability to both communicate, deliver and support the solutions being developed by the team. At the same time, the role will require you to develop and manage an autonomous and highly effective team, working with individual team members to develop their skills and with the team as a whole to define and develop the technical solutions they will be responsible for.
You will be working closely with other teams in Logistics Development and Engineering to design warehouse automation solutions and provide input when solving communication challenges, as well as more traditional Technology Infrastructure teams, so some background in delivering and maintaining operational systems is a core requirement for this role. Another responsibility is providing connectivity to our office users and visitors and working with the Implementation and Support teams to identify improvements in how these are delivered and utilised.
We'd like you to have experience in the following:
- Experience with designing, installing and maintaining Enterprise Campus Networks
- Comfortable building an Edge Network as part of modular, scalable network
- Familiar with Network Access layer standards, such as 802.3, 802.11, 802.1Q, 802.1X and how these protocols are best implemented
- Knowledgeable of methods for authenticating and securing hosts at the network edge
- Able to craft ACLs and firewall policies to secure an Enterprise environment
- Sound understanding of RF principles such as antenna selection, propagation and channel characteristics
- Proven experience managing, mentoring and running a technically focussed team
- Demonstrable ability to utilise industry standard tools such as Airmagnet and Ekahau WiFi platforms
- Demonstrable troubleshooting expertise such as packet analysis, WiFi surveys, etc
- Ability to develop, document and communicate Low-Level Design documentation
- Knowledge of the full TCP/IP stack and a higher view of all the connecting pieces (e.g. DHCP, DNS)
- Appreciation of security, reliability, scalability and availability requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to supporting and maintaining solutions on an ongoing basis and provide last-line support for production systems
Plus any of these:
- Understanding of Aruba lightweight access points
- Professional qualifications such as CCNA, CWNA, ACMP, or Juniper certifications (JNCIA/S/P) and experience (EX/SRX/MX/QFX).
- Experience of working with, directing and training field engineering teams
- Demonstrable software development and/or scripting abilities: Java/Python/Django preferred
- A track record of successfully planning and executing WiFi installations
- Practical use of RFID and Motorola Two Way Radios
- Continuous delivery approaches and mindset (communication, collaboration, integration & automation)
- Linux system administration
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the tech industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.