Sorry, this vacancy is now closed
- Closing date
- 31 Mar 2017
- 40 hours per week
- Contract type
- Hatfield (Head Office)
- Vacancy description
Working within Technical Engineering, supporting the Engineering R&D deliver of technical innovation products into existing infrastructure or newly commissioned infrastructure.
The System engineer will help with the development of range of products and systems from the R&D group. They will architect systems, define and document system and sub-system interfaces. Work with the technical leads to follow best system engineering practices.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position is to ensure that best engineering practices are followed for products developed by the R&D Engineering team.
- The System Engineer is required to help define the architecture new products and define the interfaces.
- Translate customer requirements into system and sub-system specifications.
- Define and apportion tolerances between subsystems.
- Tolerance studies and system modelling.
- Participate in engineering stage gate reviews.
- Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Engineering.
- The place of work is Welwyn Garden City, but the role will require presence at other UK and international locations.
We are looking for:
- An engineering/ science qualification, to Degree level.
- Experience of system engineering in new product development in areas such as high volume manufacture, automotive, or FMCG.
- Understanding of tolerance studies and critical parameter management.
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to complicated electro-mechanical systems.
- Experiences in system engineering tools including functional block diagrams, data flow diagrams, V-model of system engineering, design of experiments.
- Experience in structured problem solving ishikawa diagrams, management by fact process, FMEAs etc.
- Ability to build relationships from shop floor to management level, identify and clearly communicate key information and tailor the communication for the audience.
- Prioritise issues, communicate reasoning and negotiate for resources when needed.
- Both technical and commercial awareness.
- Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with barriers.
- Understanding of product reliability and reliability testing.