The main purpose of this role is to lead a team of Software Engineers within one of the Ocado Technology departments, delivering business critical projects whilst maintaining high morale, managing the day to day activities in an efficient and professional manner and ensuring all team targets are met as advised by management.
Roles & Responsibilities
Technical Lead Aspects of the Role
- Oversee the technologies, tools and techniques used within the team
- Work closely with the business and Engineers on issues related to design and requirements
- Ensure that development standards, policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Drive change to implement efficient and effective strategies as advised by management
- Develop and implement IT standards and procedures to aid in the development of high quality software. Ensure that all Engineers within the team understand and follow existing IT standards.
- Work closely with other team leaders and development teams when necessary to create software that is cohesive.
- Work closely with peers in the business to fully understand the business process and requirements.
- Gain enough business knowledge to be able to actively participate in specifying software solutions for business needs.
- Ensure that all software developed within your team satisfies the business requirements as specified.
- Ensure that projects are accurately estimated and delivered to schedule
- Show flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the business.
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems
- Perform 3rd line support as required
Line Manager Aspects of the Role
- Lead a team of software Engineers in the creation of high quality software within agreed project deadlines.
- Assume a high level of ownership of all work developed by members of the team.
- Train and integrate new team members and proactively support the continued development of existing team members
- Build and promote a positive working environment for the team within your areas as well as other business areas you will engage with.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution with effective feedback.
- Proactively report and manage upwards to management and the business, so that they are well informed of the work currently in development.
- Implement team goals and objectives
- Supervise, train and guide team members
- Inspire and motivate team members
- Be knowledgeable about each member of your team, their strengths, weaknesses and effectiveness, whilst translating each of their behaviours into clear tasks and objectives to improve their individual performance.
- Work with the wider team to support further initiatives including Recruitment of new employees into yours and other teams within Ocado Technology.
- Be a champion for your area within the IT and business organisations.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request.
This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review.
The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Proven experience of leading a team of software Engineers including performance, development and disciplinary issues.
- 2:1 of First class degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree.
- Strong secondary education (‘A’ at A-Level equivalent) in Maths, Physics and/or other numerate subjects
- Demonstrable Java programming ability with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques.
- Proven ability of tackling challenging projects
- Experience in full software development lifecycle from design to deployment
- A proven track record of developing high quality software to business specification whilst understanding processes and requirements.
- Experience using SCRUM or other Agile methodologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Experience recruiting staff and building development teams
- Ability to have a positive impact on others and communicate openly and directly to individuals or groups at all levels
- Ability to motivate others to achieve goals and generate confidence whilst respecting and supporting colleagues and team members to reach their full potential.
- Ability to exert influence upwards by developing and maintaining relationships at Senior Manager level
- Ability to identify current and future talent to contribute to business success
- Displays technical leadership and encourage it within others
- Ability to manage time effectively and direct others towards the same standards
- Ability to translate strategic objectives into everyday activity and guide and motivate others to do the same
- Comfortable with highly numeric applications.
- Demonstrates intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities and is able to pick up new skills quickly.
- Able to solve complex problems, participates in continuous improvement, adapts the ideas of others.
- Demonstrates a proactive approach, getting things done, demonstrates accountability & ownership, prioritises own workload.
- Ability to apply learned skills, awareness beyond immediate area/role.
- Able to work well under pressure, flexible, positive & focused during times of change.
- Strong verbal and written communication in English. Good interaction with internal clients.
- Works well with others and actively contributes towards team objectives
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado are an equal opportunities employer and as such make every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.