Working within Project Engineering and supporting the Engineering R&D manager to deliver technical innovation that can either be implemented into existing infrastructure or influence future strategy and project delivery.
This will include Engineering, Electromechanical and Automation research and development projects. management of development cycle through from conceptualisation, through proof of concept, prototyping etc through to realisation as a viable business solution. In addition the position will incorporate roles and responsibility of the General Project Engineer and may include project delivery.
This position will be support the research and development within Engineering, including the design and install of production ready systems, including the associated interfaces with other MHE systems including hardware, PLCs (programmable logic controller) and HMI (human-machine interface) / SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition).
The role of the Project Engineer is to support CFC automation development projects
- These projects can be diverse:
- Increasing Ocado’s capacity to pick orders
- Improving site productivity
- Enabling an increase in the SKU range
- Providing resiliency to the existing operation/process.
- The PE is responsible for the successful delivery of the engineering elements of new projects, defined in terms of time, cost and specification, including fulfilment of any CDM and health and safety requirements.
- Projects can be of varying levels of complexity:
- The PE is responsible for the planning, programme, coordination and management of all external MHE and Enabling works suppliers; and oversees and manages the vendor for the technical delivery of any new equipment installed on site.
- THE PE is also responsible for many commercial aspects of the project; including formulation of the capital budget; negotiation on costs; raising of Purchase Orders; processing of Invoices; and supporting the BPM and Procurement function in discussions with external suppliers on any Project Variations.
- Areas of particular focus for the PE are:
- Technical lead from design through implementation to Go live, including identification, and appropriate resolution, of any Snagging works
- Formulation and control of Budget spend (forecast versus actual spend)
- Enforce adherence to Legislation, Ocado Engineering Standards and H&S policies.
- Support of any Change Management processes
- Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Engineering, in coordination with the wider business in the Patent forum. Is expected to generate IP and file listings.
- The main place of work is currently Hatfield CFC, but there may be a requirement to work on the development of Ocado projects at other UK and international locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to automation hardware. Experience with automation, process machinery and robotics (e.g. ABB, Adept, Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Nachi, Seiko, Sankyo, etc.) would be useful. Must be able to perform system design, simulation and testing, and start-up.
- Experience of project implementation in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution or mechanical or materials handling industries is a plus.
- Proven track record in system or technical design and delivery, the ability to develop and implement standard engineering practices, as well as provide detailed documentation upon project completion. Able to act as the project technical lead.
- The ability to effectively cope with change.
- Aptitude to debate detail both technical and commercial detail with external parties and internal stakeholders
- Ensure compliance to Ocado Engineering standards where appropriate, updating the standard and gaining change approval where technology or progress demands.
- Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with project barriers.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- Ability to monitor, report and communicate progress (or barriers to progress) with variety of stakeholders, both in verbal and written form.
Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel, and ideally MS Project