Ocado is an award-winning online retailer revolutionising grocery shopping in the UK who continually report double digit growth. Our R&D Team are developing our own technology and new customer propositions allowing the business to open multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships. We pride ourselves on the quality of ours goods, people and technological advances that power everything we do.
This role is to enable Ocado to retain UK sector lead and to grow nationally and internationally through the development of new automation products and equipment.
The role is:
- Reporting to the Design Manager in the research and development team.
- Recommending controls, power and safety system architecture for new automated systems.
- Designing automated machines, their sub systems or their components using control systems.
- Supporting the transfer to a manufacturer for production of between 10s and 1000s off.
- Design review of existing designs.
- Design of robotic cells and pick and place systems.
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities.
- Approving and signing off drawings.
- Working on low voltage AC&DC and working with the relevant regulations.
- Setting electrical engineering best practice within the R&D Team.
- Be able to support/manage both internal and external design resources.
Skills and Experience required:
- A good engineering degree or equivalent.
- A proven track record in design of complex electromechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production.
- Experience of designing safety circuits up to SIL3/PLe.
- Experience with motion control of mechanical systems including the design and implementation of sensors and motors.
- Practical experience and thorough knowledge of applying the standards relating to the Machinery Directive.
- The ability to generate the supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification. (CE, UL CSA or other)
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage your time.
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints.
- Working knowledge of EPlan P8.
- Experience of system/component reliability. (Preferred).
- Experience with embedded control systems. (Preferred).
You will be:
- Detail orientated.
- Able to identify and mitigate risk via modelling, proof of concept, simulation etc.
- Fully conversant with relevant regulatory and safety standards to design CE / UL and CSA compliant products.
- Proficient in documentation version control, design review and sign off processes.
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing environment.
- A self-motivated, team player, flexible and willing to learn.
Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to attend meetings and conferences