We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
The Data Services team’s primary objective is to research, design and maintain our database services, builds and tools to enable the effective deployment and management of databases at Ocado. This includes relational and NoSQL database technologies on both on-premise and cloud infrastructures.
The Cassandra DBA will be expected to implement new services aligned with industry best practice, evaluate new technologies and help to continually improve the team’s enterprise-class service offerings.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Build new and upgrade existing Cassandra/Datastax Enterprise clusters
- Work with and educate Data Services team in best practises for managing Cassandra clusters
- Work with development teams to ensure their data models are designed and built to industry best practises.
- Troubleshoot problems in production Cassandra clusters
- Proven experience of full administration of enterprise Cassandra clusters (ideally DataStax Enterprise)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for open source technologies
- Demonstrable awareness of industry and market developments
- Comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Experience/understanding of supporting a 24x7 operation
- Unix Scripting
- Knowledge of OpenStack and DBaaS
- Knowledge of Ceph storage
- Python scripting
- Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
What we can offer you:
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery). We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and many more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.