Sorry, this vacancy is now closed
- Closing date
- 31 Mar 2016
- 40 hours per week
- Contract type
- Hatfield (Head Office)
- Vacancy description
The Technical Lead has the responsibility for solve challenging development problems across the Ocado portfolio of engineering projects and building expertise in key technical areas of strategic importance to Ocado.
This position will be responsible to
- Keep abreast of latest technology and processes
- Expand the Ocado knowledge base through partnerships with academic institutions , universities , centres of excellence and expert suppliers
- Vet and select suitable suppliers and partners capable of supporting the delivery of innovative system, technology and processes.
- Manage external suppliers to deliver outsourced work packages.
- Provide Ocado management team and project teams with real data to inform technical and ultimately commercial decisions
- Review technical proposals and make recommendations on how to proceed
- Drive innovation and generate intellectual property in technology areas relevant to Ocado
- Create and communicate clear work packs including timeline, stage gates, resource requirements and progress to key stakeholders
- Typically you will work as a consultants on projects that vary in scale from small proof of concept studies to longer term 12 month technology evaluation projects
- Typically you will be asked to a specific technical issue, provide date for a decision or validate a system
- You will be required to build expertise in critical areas of technology for Ocado
- You may be asked to recommend new technologies , processes or systems that should be evaluated or adopted into Ocado’s portfolio of products and systems
The main place of work is currently based from Welwyn Garden and Hatfield sites, but there may be a requirement to work on the development of projects at other UK and international locations.
We are looking for someone with:
- A good engineering degree, physics or science degree
- A strong technical background with a proven track record in complex problem solving and technology evaluation
- Multi skill technical expert
- Experience of any of the following would be an advantage structural analysis , systems engineering , Electrical and Controls engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Safety systems and Ce marking , Robotics, machine vision , motion control , materials science
- Self-motivated, team player, flexible and willing to learn
- Effective communicator to technical, non-technical and senior management audience
- Passion for investigation and problem solving
- Driven to get into the detail to get the right data
- Project management and organisational skills
Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to attend meetings and conferences