We’re building the software systems powering our next generation fulfilment centres which are core to the Ocado Smart Platform. These systems make sure the stock we receive from our suppliers is stored in the right area of our automated warehouse, such that we can pick all the items in each of the customer orders passed to us. That task involves algorithms and business logic breaking down the job into component parts which can be passed to our numerous people, conveyor and robot control systems for execution. Efficiency and accuracy are at the centre of everything we do and building the new technology platform to enable each of our sites to reach their 200,000 orders per week capability keeps us busy and always present new challenge for us to solve.
What we’d like you to do
We have ~10 teams building systems for the different parts of a CFC. A diverse range of technologies are in use across the teams which allows CFC Systems to keep our Engineers and Senior Engineers really interested in what they do every day. Based on your skills and experience you will join one of our development teams and be part of a dynamic set of developer working on exciting projects.
What we're looking for
- 2.1/1st BSc in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a good numerate degree
- Secondary education in Maths, Physics and/or other numerate subjects
- Java programming skills with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques
- Experience in the full Software Development life-cycle from design to deployment
- Proven ability of tackling challenging projects
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills
- Experience writing scalable, robust code for real-time, multi-threaded, highly available production applications
- Object Oriented skills
- Experience of other languages e.g. Scala, Python, C#
- Source control and build tools (preferably Mercurial, Git, Maven)
- Experience and/or interest in building, truly, production ready systems
- Understanding of relational and NoSql databases
- Exposure to Cloud services on Amazon/Google
- Experience with Docker and/or CoreOS
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.