The simulation team are looking for a senior software engineer to contribute to the design, build and analysis of the control algorithms for Ocado’s pioneering warehouse technologies. The successful candidate will know Java and the JVM inside out and have experience building production software. The successful candidate will embrace the opportunity to work in a collaborative research environment where their analysis will inform and impact business decisions; and their code will contribute to the intelligence behind Ocado’s new generation of highly automated Customer Fulfilment Centres.
What we’d like you to do
As part of Ocado’s Research and Development department, the simulation team contribute to the innovation that fuels Ocado’s growth. Candidates should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- as a developer, creating simulations of a wide range of physical systems and designing prototypes of the control algorithms that run them;
- as an analyst, generating and using large datasets to help inform business decisions and system design;
- as a researcher, using these tools to optimise algorithms and business processes and constantly striving to improve the efficiency and profitability of the world’s largest purely on-line grocery retailer.
The simulation teams work alongside many areas of Ocado, in and outside of Ocado Technology, including the CFC Systems, Engineering and Logistics Development teams. Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail and ability to reason about and verify simulation results.
What we look for
- 2.1 BSc in Computer Science or a numerate degree
- Solid Java (ideally Java 8)
- Knowledge of Guava, Maven and Jenkins preferable
- Strong analytical and statistical skills
- Python experience desirable, particularly in a data mining and analysis setting
- Experience and interest in Real-time Systems preferable
- Experience and interest in Optimisation Techniques, AI and Machine Learning preferable
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.
Find out more about Ocado Technology at ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.