We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
In a nutshell
The Data Services team’s primary objective is to research, design and maintain our database services, builds and tools to enable the effective deployment and management of databases at Ocado. This includes relational and NoSQL database technologies on both on-premise and cloud infrastructures. The Data Services DBA will be expected to implement new services aligned with industry best practice, evaluate new technologies and help to continually improve the team’s enterprise-class service offerings.
What do I need to do
● Design and maintain builds that allow the deployment and management of relational and NoSQL database technologies.
● Provide tools to effectively monitor, manage, alert on and performance tune Ocado's database estate.
● Establish and implement processes to ensure that our databases are patched and protected against vulnerabilities in accordance with Ocado's data security policies.
● Publish documentation to provide smooth transition of database services from the build and development phase into production support.
● Provide advice and guidance to development teams on issues relating to designing and building data solutions for their applications.
● Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems.
● Support production systems as required outside of standard working hours and participate in 24x7 on-call rota.
What do I need to know
● Oracle database 11g or 12c installation, configuration and backups
● PostgreSQL v9 installation, configuration and backups
● Oracle tuning and performance management
● Oracle Enterprise Manager configuration and maintenance
● Working knowledge of Oracle Data Guard and RMAN
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Passion for open source technologies
● Demonstrable awareness of industry and market developments
● Comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced environment
● Experience/understanding of supporting a 24x7 operation
● Unix Scripting
We would also like you to have:
● Python scripting
● PostgreSQL High Availability and replication
● Experience of supporting NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB, Cassandra/DataStax
● Experience of supporting Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012
● Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, share schemes so you can share in our success, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).
Find out more about Ocado Technology at http://www.ocadotechnology.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.