The Database Administration team’s primary objective is to keep our production databases running smoothly. They are responsible for supporting Oracle, PostgreSQL and SQL Server databases and ensuring their performance, availability and security. The Database Administrator will be expected to implement new services and monitor/manage/maintain existing ones to agreed business service levels. They will work as part of a team to ensure that operations shift personnel are appropriately briefed and skilled to provide 24x7x365 first line support.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Ensure the availability and performance of the databases that support the business operation
- Install, upgrade and patch all databases in the production environment
- Evaluate and implement database changes as submitted by development teams
- Provide advice and guidance to development teams on issues relating to database design and requirements
- Create and maintain production database housekeeping processes
- Support production systems as required outside of standard working hours and participate in 24x7 on-call rota
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems
- Ensure that development standards, policies and procedures are adhered to, and in particular that database objects are developed in line with Ocado best practice guidelines.
- Oracle database installation and configuration
- Oracle tuning and performance management
- Oracle Enterprise Manager configuration and maintenance
- SQL performance tuning experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Programming experience in Unix scripting
- Experience/understanding of supporting a 24x7 operation
- Working knowledge of Oracle Dataguard
- Working knowledge of Oracle RAC
- Knowledge of Netapp disk management
- PostgreSQL installation and configuration
- Experience of supporting Greenplum
- Experience of supporting Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012
- Oracle 10g/11g, PostgreSQL 8.3/9.1, SQL Server 2008/12
- PG Admin III
- Version Control – Subversion
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.