Technical Project Manager
Sorry, this vacancy is now closed
- Closing date
- 31 Jan 2016
- 40 hours per week
- Contract type
- Hatfield (Head Office)
- Vacancy description
We are looking for an IT Project Manager to join our Warehouse Systems team.
Ocado is seeking an IT Project Manager to take responsibility for the management and implementation of the software for automation projects in Ocado's customer fulfilment centre (Warehouse). The existing facility in Hatfield is responsible for picking, packing and dispatching over 1 million items a day to online customers across the UK.
- Managing multiple (usually 2-4) software projects concurrently through the full project lifecycle.
- Tracking project budgets.
- Managing IT hardware delivery.
- Analysing requirements and designing software solutions in co-operation with Product Owners and Technical Team Leads.
- Developing project plans and tracking progress of development against agreed targets.
- Managing the implementation, testing and go-live stages of the project.
- Developing test plans for the various stages outlined in our methodology. Undertake, track and manage resolution of issues identified during testing within the timescales of the testing phase.
- Developing testing and implementation plans and seeing that these are carried out.
- Adapting and developing the internal methodology for IT projects.
- Liaising with the Logistics Development team and Other Business teams on project requirements.
- Managing the relationship between internal IT departments and external contractors, both on and off-site.
- Checking and negotiating the IT aspects of any contracts with any external contractors.
- This role could involve managing projects in our remote warehouses around the UK and the World. Consequently travel between the head office and these sites will be required.
- During implementation periods of project you will be expected to be available to support the business during the evenings and weekends.
- Delivery focused Project Manager with full project lifecycle experience working on software development projects. Will be able to demonstrate a proven ability to lead software development projects and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met.
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building including the ability to interact with developers and technical leads in a technical manner.
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands. Knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence. Some commercial experience as a BA or a developer would be strongly preferable. The role requires that Project Managers can blend their role with that of a BA when the project necessitates it.
- Knowledge of SQL and its use in analysing data from relational databases is essential.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level.
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view. Candidates should be able to demonstrate that they have worked on and managed projects through the full development lifecycle.
- Strong technical background, Degree background or equivalent.
What we can offer you
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated experience in using appropriate tools - Agile Project Management tools such as Jira, Rally, VersionOne or equivalent - Traditional Project Management tools such as Microsoft Project, Visio, and all Office Tools
- Experience in system design and development would be an advantage.
- Computer Science degree
- The ideal Project Manager will be someone that has come up through the developer route and is now a delivery focused Project Manager within an agile environment.
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, share schemes, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only.
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.