In a nutshell
This is an exciting opportunity to join our mobile team where our Android and iOS apps were some of the first transactional shopping apps in the world on each platform, and have won industry awards, with features such as the ability to shop offline. Our mobile development team creates our suite of mobile apps for Android and iOS that now generates over 40% of our weekly orders. As the percentage of weekly orders taken on mobile is growing significantly day by day, it is backed by major new projects within the team, completely redefining what it means to shop for groceries on a mobile phone or tablet.
We are looking for a dedicated Android Developer to join our cross-functional Agile team as we continue the development of this technically challenging and ever-evolving suite of apps.What I need to know
To succeed as an Android Developer you will need to have extensive programming and object-oriented design skills, gained in Java through Android development alongside good theoretical foundations. You’ll also have extensive knowledge of the Android environment through developing high-quality apps.
An ability to be able to pick new concepts up quickly and as you understand the fundamentals of computer science, as well as being a specialist in Android, you will be comfortable working on different technologies. Personality is key. Being a good team player is essential we work in an Agile team, however you must also be motivated to work by yourself when required. You’ll be keen to automate repetitive tasks and will be familiar working with Continuous Integration tools. Skills and Experience
Nice to have
- 1st class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science or relevant experience.
- Strong programming and object-oriented design skills.
- Extensive knowledge of the Android SDK and modern development tools such as Android Studio.
- Experience working on published Google Play store apps.
- Pragmatic, but with a keen eye for detail.
- Passion for and understanding of automated testing.
- A fanaticism for clean code!
- An understanding and some experience of Agile software development.
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment.
- A mastery of git!
- Knowledge of iOS or backend Java development.
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, share schemes, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).