On the surface, we are the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer. Customers use our award winning mobile applications and website to place their orders, which are packed in our world-class automated warehouse, and delivered in one hour time slots.
Look under the surface however, and you will unearth a dynamic technology company that has the look, feel and culture of an innovative software start-up. That’s because we develop all the software that powers Ocado, in-house. From the real time control systems that drive our automated warehouse, and sophisticated route optimisation software, to our robotics, 3D vision systems and the complex algorithms embedded in our inference engines.
The Automation Controls Team is responsible for all aspects of the software that directly controls the material handling equipment that makes the Ocado online shopping solution unique.
We are seeking an Software Engineer to contribute to the needs of the businees by working as part of a team on designated software development projects, with an emphasis on writing robust, effective code, and developing, maintaining, deploying and supporting high-quality software systems.
- Requires the problem solving and code writing skills of traditional software development, along with the ability to understand in detail the operation of a variety of electromechanical systems.
- Will have the opportunity to develop new code to add to our standard code libraries, make modifications to existing live systems and work with external equipment suppliers on new types of equipment.
- 1st / 2.1 degree (or equivalent) in Engineering / Physics / Maths or Computer Science. Lower degree classifications considered with relevant postgraduate qualifications (MSc, MEng).
- Demonstrable programming and problem solving abilities, preferably in a control systems context.
- An aptitude and enthusiasm for working in with electromechanical systems in real world industrial applications.
- Work or project experience using control systems equipment and concepts.
Benefits include: Pension, AXA healthcare, Critical Illness cover, 23 days holiday, 15% staff discount + others.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only.
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.