On the surface, we are the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer. Customers use our award winning mobile applications and website to place their orders, which are packed in our world-class automated warehouse, and delivered in one hour time slots.
Look under the surface however, and you will unearth a dynamic technology company that has the look, feel and culture of an innovative software start-up. That’s because we develop all the software that powers Ocado, in-house. From the real time control systems that drive our automated warehouse, and sophisticated route optimisation software, to our robotics, 3D vision systems and the complex algorithms embedded in our inference engines.
We are now looking for Application Support Engineers with strong Unix Shell scripting skills to join our Application Support team. Sitting between the software development and Infrastructure teams, the Application Support team is responsible for the on-going configuration and management of the production systems.
The Application Support Engineer will support a complex technical environment running on a predominately Unix platform.
This is a very technical role requiring strong Unix and Unix scripting skills and knowledge of application server technologies such as Tomcat and Glassfish. This is a dynamic environment that requires highly technical individuals with good written and verbal communication skills.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Development teams to derive and build effective monitoring and error handling built to company standards
- Ensure Operations team have up to date documentation for supporting and maintaining business systems
- Perform system upgrades/provide Operations team with upgrade scripts
- Manage scheduled system shutdowns for infrastructure upgrades
- Provide advice and guidance to Development teams on issues relating to system design and requirementsMaintain the Change Management system
- Create and maintain production system housekeeping processes
- Work with Infrastructure teams to provide Development teams with application servers for development and production
- Support production systems as required outside of standard working hours and participate in 24x7 on-call rotas
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems
- Ensure that development standards, policies and procedures are adhered to, and in particular that all code is developed in line with Ocado best practice guidelines.
- Strong Unix Shell scripting skills
- Relevant hands-on technical experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven programming experience
The following experience would also be useful bit not essential:
- Experience/understanding of supporting a 24x7 operation
- Change Management experience
- Java administration and configuration
- Understanding of databases
- Programming experience with Python and Perl
Benefits include: Pension, AXA healthcare, Critical Illness cover, Share Options, Share Save Scheme, 23 days holiday, 15% staff discount + others.
Applications are open to experienced candidates and also recent graduates interested in careers within IT Infrastructure.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only.
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.